Sunday, November 11, 2012

Capturing Fall (It is very elusive and evades capture at all costs)

 
So for our next video challenge, we had to make a video "capturing what fall means to you."  This was great, fall is my favorite season.  So I made this video, capturing the trees and flowers in my mom's garden and on this wonderful trail by my house.  I used my mothers DSLR camera.  In my first watercolor video, I used my sister's macro lens, but this time I used my mother's zoom lens.(mainly because my sister refused to let me borrow her lens) You get simular results with a zoom lens, but the camera is much more sensitive to any sort of movement.   And if there is something in the way, it sort of blurs out so you still see your main focus, with an interesting blurry effect that I liked for some shots.   I love using DSLRs for video, because it gets great HD footage and is conciderably cheaper than a really nice video camera.  I am not sure how good the audio is, mainly because I haven't needed it yet.

I found this awesome bluegrass song (fall/winter put me in the mood to listen to country/bluegrass. Don't hate) and I somehow managed to edit it all together with the sad program that is Windows Movie Maker.  I mean, it's alright, but it doesn't do much more besides giving you a few transitions and average effects. 

Once I had edited it, I uploaded it to youtube, and color corrected it to make it a bit warmer in hue (though I fear I might have made it a bit too warm).  I also stabilized it, because I had a few shakey shots. 
The only thing I didn't like about this challenge is that I wasn't able to capture everything I love about fall.  Leaves are only half of it.  I love wearing warm sweaters and drinking apple cider, but a shot of a sweater I'll admit is not very interesting.  Hopefully soon I'll make a video that actually is a type of story, not just a collection of clips arranged into a slideshow.  I can't wait for the next challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment